the domestic tales of four sisters

the domestic tales of four sisters

Easy Canister Upgrade

One of my favorite things about getting married was the opportunity to stroll through the kitchen aisles of Target to shop for my future home. When my husband (then fiance) was deployed I set out with a budget of $300 for our kitchen. I wanted to get everything we needed with only $300. Possibly less if I could. I was going through a stainless steel phase at that point in time and I bought this set of awesome stainless steel canisters. I set them up in in our brand new home and after about 3 months I decided they were horrible.

My husband deployed again and I was tired of dealing with my tall, skinny, can’t fit anything down inside of them canisters. I reserved one for coffee storage and then pitched the rest. They weren’t even worth a resale in my opinion. So … I went to Walmart and bought 4 of these.

photo

 

I loved that they were clear and sealed tightly.

Well, since we’ve been in Wyoming I’ve been noticing random things I want to change. Not completely purchase new, but just tweek a little. So over the next few months you’ll be seeing quite a few “upgrades” I will be making in our quaint little townhome.

This is the first one! And probably the easiest.

I took my standard ole canister, some Epoxy, wooden & unfinished knobs, and Rustoleum spray paint in “Oil Rubbed Bronze.”

I didn’t take during pictures … because I’m a DIY blogging failure. I apologize.

I have shaky, shaky hands. I also am terrified of Epoxy, but I wanted something that would without a doubt survive my dishwasher. Well, my husband being the air wing marine he is could probably have a degree in Epoxy and I gave him the job of attaching the knobs. You could use superglue I’m certain, but like I said … I wanted a super strong hold.

So Husband Hotpants attached the knobs, I let them sit for about 10-15 minutes to harden. Then I sprayed them with 2 coats of the spray paint. Of course I chose to do this on the one random day in Wyoming that it rains. So it took a good bit to dry.

But they were worth the wait …

canister1

canisters2

canisters3

canisters4

canisters5

 

The labels are paper coated in chalkboard and I picked them up at Hobby Lobby. I made them temporary because I’m sure in about a week I won’t like them on there at all. I saved myself the trouble of having Β to remove chalkboard paint.

This whole project cost me about $10 total. πŸ™‚ Can’t beat that!

And these canisters are still for sale at your local Walmart or Target!

Happy DIY Friends … Check back for more updates to our tiny townhouse. πŸ™‚

-Kelsea

Related Post



1 thought on “Easy Canister Upgrade”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge