A few years back (a lot of years back) I met the boy that would become my husband. We stayed friends over the years and didn’t date until we were 20. On our first date (he had just returned from Iraq) we went to Chickfila and gorged ourselves. I asked him to share a brownie with me and then he said,
“Oh no babe. I’m stuffed. But I don’t really like chocolate.”
I gasped. You DON’T like chocolate?!
How in the years that we had known each other did this NOT come up?!
YOU DON’T LIKE CHOCOLATE?!
It was a defining moment in our relationship and it solidified what I already knew …
It was time for me to break up with him.
… Just kidding.
I still married him and we are living in our happily ever after and we make it work despite his aversion to chocolate-y deliciousness.
I must give him fair credit, however, and mention that he does eat some chocolate. He just doesn’t like chocolate overload. This means that he won’t eat Sugar Coma Chex Mix. This also means that I will save a small Ziploc baggie for myself and the rest will make its way to his poolees tomorrow morning. Some of them need to gain a few pounds before shipping off to boot camp anyway. Those poor, sweet, sweet boys. (Giggling sadistically.)
Sugar Coma Chex Mix kind of developed over the past 2 years for me. There are a number of pins on my Pinterest food board for “Better than Sex Chex Mix.” It uses marshmallows and Chocolate Chex. I have made this version, and I thought it was good, but it wasn’t what I wanted. I wanted more. If it was possible. Overtime I developed my own version and re-labeled it Sugar Coma Chex Mix because it really is just a ton of sugar layered on top of more sugar. And topped with sea salt. It’s the perfect blend of salty and sweet.
Don’t be scared off by the amount of sugar. Make some and give some away. That’s one of the things I love most about baking and cooking – sharing it with my family and friends!
Sugar Coma Chex Mix
1 box Rice Chex (Use generic!)
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed firmly
3 tablespoons honey
5 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup peanuts
1/2 cup M&Ms (or other candy choice)
1 bag Reese’s minis (or other candy choice)
*may add any toppings you want
1/2 cup caramel melts
1 tablespoon half & half
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1 cup white chocolate chips
1) Combine brown sugar, honey, and butter. Melt in microwave safe dish (deep enough so as not to boil over!) for 3 minutes. Mixing every 30-45 seconds depending upon your microwave. Once mixture is bubbling, remove and mix in vanilla. Pour over Chex and mix thoroughly trying to coat well. TIP: Mix will NOT be gooey! Don’t fret. Also – SPRAY YOUR MIXING BOWL WITH COOKING SPRAY! You’ll thank me later. 🙂
2) Spread Chex out on parchment paper, baking sheet, or foil (sprayed with cooking spray). Place desired toppings/candy on top of Chex.
3) Melt caramel and half & half in microwave. Same deal, microwave for up to 3 minutes stirring every 30 seconds or so. Make sure they’re well combined. Drizzle over Chex.
4) Melt chocolate chips, first white and then milk. Drizzle over Chex and toppings.
5) While chocolate and caramel is still wet sprinkle sea salt (as much as desired) over the Chex and toppings.
6) Allow to cool entirely and break apart. Store in Ziplock bags or tupperware containers.